Working Holiday Visa

If you're tired of the same-old, same-old, why not escape your reality, for just 1 year? After all, while it may be autumn where you're at right now, summer is approaching in the land down under, and I can't think of a better time to go there than now!

Australia, also called ‘The Land Down under’, has heaps to offer!

In addition to wild and roaring oceans, endless beaches, its unique vegetation which can't be found anywhere else in the world and its deadliest animals (crocodiles, sharks and spiders to name a few) it will surprise you with a multicultural environment, in fact over 25% of Australians were born in other countries, and modern cities perfectly blended with the surrounding cliffs and nature.

For many people, Australia seems like a mystical place, a place so different from our own, whether we live in Europe, America or Asia.


The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) allows young adults to holiday and work for a period up to 1 year all over Australia. It is one of the most popular visa since suits guys and gals of 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31 that are simply interested to live in one city or explore the whole country backpacking. This Visa is also ideal if you need to improve your english since you can study for a max of 4 months while working and traveling!

The other great thing is that you could extend it to a second year when you spend a period of 88 days doing ‘Farm Work’ in specific rural areas of Australia carried out during the first year.

Just keep in mind that if you are one of those who decide to live like an Aussie in the same city for the entire year you can work up to six months with each employer and no longer! Differently, if you are one that cannot stop traveling you have the privilege of leave and re-enter AUS as many times as you like while the visa is valid :)

For the first 6 months of the WHV you might have the right to Medicare, the Australian public health insurance, if your country has an agreement with the Australian government; Let’s Go Planet always suggests to apply for an Australian private health fund for the following months.


  • your age must be between 18 and 31 – not yet turned 31!
  • valid passport from an eligible country included in the Working Holiday Program agreement with Australia (you’ll find the list of the countries at the end of this paragraph),
  • be outside of Australia! – this rule is valid for the first working holiday visa application only,
  • no children - will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay,
  • particulars, contact details, such as, your residential address, email and phone number,
  • A credit card in order to pay for the fee of the Visa around $440 - double check the exchange rate to find out how much it is in your currency,
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • between 2 to 4 weeks to be approved,
  • one year to enter Australia from the approval date of your visa,
  • from November 2018 the Australian federal government has announced that citizens of Ireland and Canada can now apply for a working holiday visa if they are aged up to 35. Before, applicants had to be no more than 31 years old to get a ‘backpacker’ visa. The increased age limit for Australia in only available to Irish and Canadian citizens.

If you are considering applying for a working holiday Visa in Australia, you must hold a valid passport from one of the countries below.

417 Working Holiday Visa:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.

462 Work and Holiday Visa:

  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • Indonesia
  • Malaysia
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Uruguay
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • Indonesia
  • Malaysia
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Uruguay

If your country is not listed above, do not panic! We can help you arranging a Student Visa which will still allow you to work, study and travel.


  • from the 1st day in Australia your visa will start the count down of 12 months in total. Remember you could leave and re-enter as many times as you wish during the year of validity,
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000),
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay,
  • you have the right to reciprocal Medicare, the Australian public health insurance, going straight to a CentreLink office- remember to bring with you the passport, visa and current health cover from your own country. If your country doesn’t have an agreement with the Australian government, Let’s Go Planet will help you to get an Australian private health insurance,
  • you can seek any kind of work with different contracts for example casual, part-time or full-time employment, however, keep in mind you can’t be employed by the same employer for more than 6 months,
  • you could be eligible for a second Working Holiday Visa when you carry a period of 88 days doing ‘Farm Work’ in specific rural areas of Australia,

Let’s Go Planet is here for you and wish you to enjoy every minute!


You could extend your Working Holiday Visa to a second one for a full year.

You must have:

  • not yet turned 31 years old of age,
  • already completed three months of specified work in regional Australia. This specified work must have been completed while on your first Working Holiday visa. To meet the three months specified work requirement you must actually work for the same number of days that a full-time employee would normally work in a three month (88 calendar day), including weekends or equivalent rest days during your period of employment,
  • if you are already in Australia, and wish to remain onshore, you should apply for a second Working Holiday visa before your current visa expires and before you have turned 31 years of age. Remember visa deadline will be exactly two years after the date on which your first entered Australia,
  • if you are outside of Australia you should apply and remain out of Australia until the Visa is granted.

If you need any support lodging the application or for some reason cannot meet the requirements give us a buzz and Lets Go Planet will help you out with other options.


Choose your next study destination

Image placeholder


View more

Promoted courses

Other services related to Travel


The best way to start a new couse is to know which is the right for you.
We helped hundreds of people choosing the right course, we offer a free consultation to help you move forward. Hurry up, send us a message!

T: 0406 255 974

Join our mailing list!

Subscribe for Education and Travel Promotions and keep up-to-date with Visa and Migration News.